JOB SUMMARY: Independently performs diagnoses, repairs, maintenance and installations of highly complex larger-sized commercial air conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing and/or electrical systems and/or equipment. Works with various types of tools, gauges, measuring equipment under guidance from a service supervisor. Reports to a Service Manager. Performs other duties as required by the position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Diagnoses HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing and/or electrical system performance through observation, testing and setup.
- Disassembles and reassembles large commercial equipment to perform trouble shooting and preventative maintenance.
- Operates hand tools, power tools, gauges and measuring equipment to perform service to the equipment and/or mechanical system.
- Give and receive written and verbal instructions.
- Complete work orders, task lists and documents to verify work performed as needed to conform to customer invoicing requirements.
- Completes documentation of invoicing data based on hours worked and materials or equipment used to perform the service.
- Explains the service charges and work performed to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Operate a commercial vehicle and trailer.
- Purchase materials and issue purchase order numbers to suppliers.
- Maintain inventory stock on service vehicle.
- Reconcile work order documents, vendor packing slips and weekly timesheets for supervisor review.
- Maintain personal performance agreement with immediate supervisor.
- Demonstrate a level of proficiency and competence on the skill based pre‑employment exam.
- Proficiency and competence to effectively diagnose, repair, install and maintain larger sized commercial HVAC equipment.
- Two (2) – Five (5) years mechanical, plumbing and/or electrical system/equipment work experience.
- Stable work history showing responsibility and professional growth.
JOB SKILLS AND EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent; diploma from a recognized trade or technical school or equivalent comprised of 5-10 years’ experience and training.
- Maintains on-going required continued education, professional licenses and/or certifications as required by the position.
- Diagnostic ability as demonstrated through prior experience and/or training.
- Meets requirements of company vehicle driving policy.
- Ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle as evidenced by past driving performance record and to adhere to all company safety requirements.
- Ability to competently use a variety of gauges, meters, measuring instruments, hand and power tools and equipment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with peers, supervisors and the customer.
- Good math, verbal, written skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to read blueprints and schematic drawings
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Ability to tolerate extreme environmental conditions consisting of extreme heat, cold, noise, vibration, fumes, dusts, poor ventilation, gases and oils.
- Ability to work skillfully with both hands constantly; independently lift and carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds routinely, 50 pounds frequently and 80 pounds occasionally; climb and maintain balance on ladders and scaffold; kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, twist, finger, grasp and feel on a constant and repetitive basis; stand, walk, talk, see (20/20 vision naturally or corrected), hear within normal range and perform repetitive motion activities.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure and without close supervision in order to identify customer needs and provide solutions. Willing and able to consistently work the schedule required by job demands.
- Participates in the technician on-call stand-by rotation as required.
- May be exposed to wet slippery floors, objects on floor and various chemicals and sharp objects.
- Works on carpeted, concrete, wood, tile and/or vinyl floors or combination within the confines of a commercial building.